Saturday, August 26, 2006

Part V-How do we proceed from here?

In response to this question, I find that the best answer is broader than considering evolution alone. Christians have good reason to keep informed about what their children are being taught. When anti-religious positions or overtly atheistic or humanistic positions are presented as fact, the teacher and the school system should be challenged. However, I would suggest that this is a very rare occurrence. However, to object to the teaching of evolution as a scientific theory (all of which are provisional) is not likely to be productive and I believe doing so harms the cause of Christ more than helps.

Two reasons are usually given for opposing the teaching of evolution in the public schools: 1) It is scientifically unsupportable and 2) It unavoidably undermines belief in the Bible and fosters the religion of secular humanism. As I have outlined in previous posts, #1 is simply wrong. Please understand I came to this conclusion after being a creation science supporter, strictly because I had to study carefully in preparation for teaching this material at a college. This study demonstrated conclusively to me that evolution is a useful scientific theory and that creation science is scientifically (and religiously) unsound. Perhaps I seem arrogant to you in saying such things when there are a number of well-known creation science proponents who are also scientists and who have come to the opposite conclusion. I do not know how to make this point without sounding immodest, but I think it is an important, so I will tell you a little about my career. I have been working as an experimental biologist since 1980 (when I earned my Ph.D. in immunology), and my research has been funded by competitive grants from the federal government and private companies continuously since 1987. I am on the editorial boards of 6 scientific journals, including the leading journals in immunology and toxicology. I have published over 90 peer-reviewed papers. In contrast, I do not know a single creation science proponent who works as a scientist. Several have Ph.D. degrees, but some are in marginally related fields. They do not have to worry about scientific integrity, because they are not working as scientist. However, those of us who are working as scientists are obligated by our chosen profession and by our belief in the Bible, which teaches against bearing false testimony, to speak with integrity. I cannot say that evolution is an unsupportable theory without abandoning integrity.

The second point listed in the previous paragraph is also in error. Few public schools in states where the SBC has most of its members teach evolution at the K-12 level at all. They simply do not want the controversy. When evolution is taught, teachers generally go out of their way to teach it in ways that minimize conflicts with the Bible or religion. When I taught this topic in college, I introduced it by telling the students that I would be teaching evolution, because it is a reasonably good scientific theory about the NATURAL origins of life. However, I specifically told them that this does not preclude a role for God, but science is unable to establish or even investigate this role. Other professors I knew had a similar approach.

So, how does opposing evolution hurt the cause of Christ? It prevents almost all scientists from taking the gospel seriously, because the people most likely to present it to them have classified them as enemies to be shunned and hated. Of course, this is a small number of people. However, many people are taught evolution in college, and most professors do an excellent job of presenting compelling evidence confirmed by multiple methods (including dating) for evolution. The evidence is almost as overwhelming as the evidence that the earth orbits the sun, so teaching our youth that evolution conflicts with the Bible sets them up for an absolutely unnecessary spiritual crisis. When they learn that the evidence for evolution is not as inconsequential and error ridden as they have been taught, they may begin to doubt other things that they were taught. This is unnecessary, because the first two chapters of Genesis can be taken literally (Adam and Eve were real people and God created everything) and still be consistent with the occurrence of evolution. Stating that God could not create partly by using natural mechanisms like evolution is another way of saying, I do not believe God is sovereign. He can only create ex nihilo all at once, because that is the interpretation I prefer. Of course, that is not the only interpretation that is possible from a careful and literal interpretation of Genesis 1 and 2. It is important to note that, as I point out in previous posts, a current SBC seminary professor (remember, there are no liberals or moderates left among our seminary professors) supports the idea that Genesis is not intended as a strict chronology and that the issue of the length of days cannot be settled with certainty from the text.

Christians would do well to partner with public schools and to help them in every way possible. Community interest and volunteerism is sorely needed in almost all schools, and Christians should (more than anyone else) have a desire to serve. In addition, this would allow access and understanding of what is being taught. Christians should run for a position on the School Board. I live in a community where this has happened and where many leaders in the public school system are committed Christians. I cannot recall my children ever being taught anything to which I objected. It seems to me that we cannot possibly act as salt and light in our culture unless we infiltrate our culture, and the public schools are the one place where we can reach almost everyone. Christians should be the strongest supporters of public schools and should be involved in them in every way both to fulfill our role as servants and to insure that inappropriate content is challenged quickly and effectively.

There seems to be considerable interest in a resolution that was made at a recent SBC annual meeting calling on parents to withdraw their children from public schools. In the interest of full disclosure I should tell you that my mother, father, wife, and sister-in-law are or were teachers in public schools. I attended public schools. For various reasons, my wife has taught and my children have attended private schools. Thus, I would not criticize anyone who preferred home schooling or private school. However, to propose that all Southern Baptists withdraw their children from public schools suggests a selfish isolationism that Baptists have always avoided. Of course, parents are responsible for protecting their children and looking to their best interests. However, I am become convinced through experience that it is in the best interest of our youth to teach them by experience to evangelize and serve, wherever life takes them. My daughter attends a public high school and she is also an intern at our church, where she serves as minister to middle school girls. She has a positive witness and has invited many of her classmates to join her at church. Do you really believe that the best approach is simply to abandon those kids? Of course, it takes extra time and effort to teach our children to avoid temptations and to resist belief systems contrary to our own to prepare them for public schools. It takes constant involvement in their lives to insure that things are not taking a wrong turn, but surely the effort is worth it if they are able to share the gospel with even one classmate. One final thought. Choosing a private school to protect our children from negative influences is by no means foolproof. Every sin that can be found in public schools can be found in private schools, and private schools tend to be a good deal more sinful in areas like pride and haughtiness. I would prefer to see us take personal responsibility for protecting and preparing our children and raise them up in the way they should go; which would include fulfilling the great commission.

3 Comments:

Blogger Baptist Theologue (Mike Morris) said...

Have you looked at Hugh Ross' web site (www.reasons.org)? He is an old earth creationist.

11:06 PM  
Blogger to-obey-is-better said...

Thanks for taking all the time and effort in writing!

(One thing before I get started; is it possible you could space out your first few posts? They're difficult to read as there are few paragraphs. Also the white on black is hard on the eyes....just my two cents worth :-) )

I have really been pondering the whole Genesis/evolution thing for some time. Most recently because of where we are in our homeschooling curriculum.
We've been reading "The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible" by Paul S. Taylor to our kids. I really question the whole....radioactive dating is off and dinosaurs where on the ark....approach that they take. It appears to be forcing science to fit with the Bible.

I too have wondered about the TWO creation stories that exist in Genesis. If you take it all literally, which one is correct? And how can it be that the earth is only 6000 years old, if fossils tell us so much differently!

I really appreciate what you've written. Your explanation, written from a SCIENTIST'S view is what I needed.

I believe that the TWO creation stories are figurative. It in NO WAY lessens the fact that I believe that God created the Earth. It in no way changes that I'm an inerrantist. I also believe in supernatural events...I've seen them on the mission field here. I know God supernaturally created the world. I want my children to be able to see that science doesn't have to contradict that Bible. That, in fact, it most often confirms the Bible. However, to try and squeeze science to fit into our own personal beliefs....I think we will come across as foolish to many who are scientists or learned thinkers and not yet believers.

It seems too often that if you believe in evolution at all, then you're a liberal. God forbid! I see in evolution (no we didn't come from monkeys) how God gave animals and plants the ability to adapt to different environments...how do you explain blind fish that live in pitch black caves?

Thank you!




I

8:01 AM  
Blogger Stephen Pruett said...

First, sorry for my long delay in new posting and in responding to your comments. My job has demanded more time than usual lately.

BT, Thanks for mentioning Dr. Ross, I have read some of his articles. I would encourage people to read his ideas in support of an old earth. His old earth creationism is certainly more scientifically defensible than the young earth creationists stories. However, I seem to recall not finding his views on biological systems to be scientifically valid. However, I need to check his web site again to determine what gave me this impression.

To-Obey, Thanks much for the advice on blog style. As soon as I get a little time, I will try to figure out how to change the background to white and the text to black. Thanks also for your kind words. I think you have nailed one of the major concerns I have about militant anti-evolutionism. Its supporters are convinced that taking any of Genesis figuratively weakens the foundation for our faith. I disagree. I believe some parts of Genesis are intended figuratively (based not on evolution, but on the scriptures which include distinctive creation accounts implying that one or both is figurative).

I also believe the following: Adam and Eve were literal people (interestingly there is scientific support for the idea that every human alive today is descended from one woman); I believe that God created the heavens and the earth and human beings (using evolution for some parts of this process); I believe Adam and Eve sinned and that this changed forever the relationship of humanity to God and necessitated the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ. So how is the theology I derive by interpreting some parts of Genesis figuratively different from that of people who insist it can only be interpreted literally? I would suggest it is not different in any way that matters.

It seems odd that taking Genesis literally, even though there are indications in the text that this was not intended, is regarded by some to be a test of conservatism. This certainly is not the case with a number of other passages. For example, Baptists at least, do not take literally the instructions in 1 Corinthians 11 for women to keep their heads covered and have long hair and for men to have short hair in church. Why isn't this regarded to be a sign of liberalism?

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home