Sunday, November 26, 2006

Is Evolution vs. Creation a Discussion of Essentials?

It may not be clear why a blog called “Essentials” has focused exclusively thus far on the issue of evolution and the Bible. Does this mean I think this is an essential matter. Not at all. In fact, I discussed this issue because it is a good example of an matter about which Christians should be able to disagree without animosity. As already explained I think there are some very real negative consequences to the cause of Christ when we aggressively push an ultraliteralist version of creation that ignores or proposes nearly untenable reconciliation the different creation accounts in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. Therefore, I am not neutral on this issue. However, I believe that those who disagree with me on this have a motivation that I share: the desire to be true to God’s word and hold it as the primary authority in all matters. Post-modern relativism is a real threat. However, in my opinion the Bible can legitimately be interpreted in a way that is not inconsistent with a limited version of evolution. Having decided that this is a valid interpretation based only on the biblical text itself, it is very interesting that this puts us in a position to speak to modern people, who know the evidence in favor of at least some form of evolution. These are the very people who need to be reached and confronted with the emptiness and futility of a materialist philosophy. However, I do not dislike and I would not refuse to work with individuals who disagree. In fact, my pastor invited a person from “Answers in Genesis” to speak at our church, and I did not object. I expressed that I have reservations about their views, but I agree with their motives. However, it is my impression that there is no reciprocity in this regard. The Answers in Genesis web site uses a quote from Marx to describe Christians who “compromise” by accepting some version of evolution as a reasonable scientific theory. These people are referred to as “useful idiots”. In this case, useful means useful to atheists and anti-religious people in generally. Of course, the meaning of idiot is obvious, but it is not clear to me that it is a term that one Christian should use to describe another. I would characterize it in a similar category as the word “fool”, which we are expressly forbidden from using. If they could conclusively refute my interpretation of Genesis 1 and 2 and I persisted in espousing that view, perhaps the term would be justified. However, that is not the case. It is possible, with equal reverence for the Bible and an equal belief in interpreting it literally unless there are clear indications to the contrary (which there are in Genesis 1 and 2), to come to different conclusions about the meaning of Chapters 1 and 2 of Genesis.

This is representative of a larger issue, which I believe is one of the most serious threats to traditional or conservative Christianity today. It is the tendency to exclude and even ridicule persons who disagree with us about non-essential matters of faith. Taken to its logical conclusion this would cause Christians to continue to fragment and not to cooperate in that which is to be our primary concern (spreading and living the gospel of Christ). This is happening now in the Southern Baptist Convention. There are some who are voicing objections to this trend, but I fear power politics will prevail and those who are most willing to use secular political methods will prevail. This group is not likely to be the one that favors cooperation. The apostle Paul addressed a variety of doctrinal issues and behaviors in churches, but I believe the only people he advised Christians to withdraw from are those who were unrepentant sinners who would damage the reputation of the church in the community or those who were preaching or teaching overt blasphemy. On other issues Paul offered correction, but not withdrawal of fellowship or failure to cooperate. There is a tension between this New Testament principle and the real threat of doctrinal drift or dilution due to cultural influences. Different denominations and even different bodies of believers within denominations come to different conclusions on how to handle this matter. This is probably best, but I would hope that we would be as cautious to avoid unnecessary fragmentation and exclusion as we seem to be to avoid a loss of doctrinal integrity. I think we would all agree that no one is saved by virtue of their correct understanding of doctrine. The only doctrine one has to understand correctly to be saved is the gospel repentance and rebirth, accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior, publicly announcing this decision. Other things may be important, but they are not as important as this one message. Paul advised going as far as acting to make those in a different position in life comfortable in order to reach them for Christ.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Pruett,
I am a conservative evangelical Christian and I am a student at one of the six SBC seminaries. I do not think that one must hold to a literal six day creation. I believe that the interpretation of Genesis 1 is like the study of eschatology, it should not be a matter of fellowship. We can agree to disagree. From a theological standpoint what is important is that God created man in his image. The Apostle Paul believed in the historicity of Adam. This is seen quite clearly in Romans 5. So one can hold to an "Old Earth" theory if he posits that God intervened into the process and created man in his image.

My problem with an evolutionary theory has stems from what I believe about the restoration of creation. The creation which God has pronounced as "good" in Genesis 1 will one day be set free from it's "bondage to decay" and set free to enjoy the "liberty of the sons of God." (Rom. 8) The Bible supports the idea that God one day restore his creation.

I believe that will look like what is depicted in Isaiah 11. If Isaiah 11 is a picture of new creation it seems that peace will exist in the animal kingdom. The lion will eat straw, the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, the nursing child will play over the hole of the cobra. What has gone wrong in the animal kingdom will be "put to rights." In the renewed creation no longer does a predator/prey mentality exist in the animal kingdom.

My problem with the "Old Earth" creation scheme is that in that paradigm the creation looks nothing like what God will one day restore. In an "Old Earth" paradigm God pronounces millions of years of carniverous activity as "good." Romans 8 seems to say that the "bondage to decay" which is now experieced by the creation was caused by the one man's sin. However, in an "old Earth" scheme suffering and decay must have existed before sin. They are the natural bi-products of natural selection.

My question for the Old Earth guys is what will "new creation" look like and is it a restoral of what God's creation looked like before the fall?

I find some of the arguments by the so called "creation scientists" to be an insult to my intelligence. i simply do not know how to reconcile the Genesis account with the fossil record. Some of the "Old Earth" guys do a good job with the fossil records but do not seem to understand literary criticism and literary genres at all. At the moment for theological reasons I hold to a six-day creation. Though I do not know how to reconcile the narrative and the fossil record!

An Anonymous Seminary Student,
Louisville, Ky

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please excuse spelling and syntax errors in the above post. I was in a hurry.

7:59 PM  
Blogger to-obey-is-better said...

Wow!
It's been awhile since I checked over here. Thanks for changing the screen color and for more to read. I've been waiting.

Just last week, my oldest daughter (9 years old) and I were watching a "knowledge" station here in Asia. We caught the end of one program about mummies and how the oldest known mummy was of a baby found on the coast of Chili. It was 7,000 years old, I believe. Maybe they said 10,000. She caught this.

That program went off, and on came one about how the earth was created (from a secular view) but they looked back at history and how in the 16 or 1700's the theologians counted all the generations in the Bible and determined that the earth was 6,000 years old.

My nine-year-old's response?
"How can that be true if that mummy is older than 6,000 years?"

So, I continue to read, and pray and ask for wisdom in teaching her.

Thanks for your thought provoking posts!

IMB M

9:08 AM  
Blogger Stephen Pruett said...

Anonymous, Thanks for your comments. I am not certain that I can reconcile the fossil evidence and Genesis either. Your point about restoration is a valid one. I only have a tentative answer. God is not limited by time. Therefore, the original creation may have been created with decay and predation in place, because God knew man would sin. Restoration would refer to restoration to the ideal rather than restoration to the historical conditions. I am not entirely satisfied with this interpretation, but I think it is at least as good as many I have seen attempting to reconcile totally literal interpretations of Genesis 1 and 2. Also I need to point out that my position on this is not driven primarily by fossil evidence, but it is derived primarily from the conflict between Genesis 1 and 2, which IMO cannot be reconciled if both accounts are accepted as being absolutely literal. Since I do not believe the Bible contains errors or contradictions, I can only conclude that one or both of the creation accounts is not intended to be interpreted literally. However, I find it interesting that when we operate under this conclusion, the fossil evidence is reconcilable with the Bible. By the way, consistent with the New Testament, I believe in the historicity of Adam. Interestingly, there is fairly strong scientific evidence that every human being alive today is descened from one woman (the scientists even called her Eve).

Again, thanks for your comment, and I am glad to know that sudents like you are at our seminaries. It gives me reason to hope for a great future for the SBC.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Stephen Pruett said...

Dear To Obey, I really like your screen name. I have an idea that what Paul really meant by feeding on the meat of the word rather than baby milk was more related to applying the Word than understanding it. Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Kids are often very insightful, because they have no preconceptions. They do not try to force the data (whether scientific or biblical) to fit their favorite theory. I hope you enjoy your daughter as much as I have enjoyed my daughter and son (my son is on his own and married and my daugter will be off to college in a year)!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Paul/Mary Burleson said...

Stephen,

I have to admit this is the first time I've read your blog...but it will not be the last time I assure you.

I will have to read your past posts on creationism to be able to dialogue at all, but, what you've said here rings true to my way of thinking about differences of opinion in textual study and conversation with others.

I've placed your site on my short list to be read daily and will follow the comment section as well.

Thanks for insightful thoughts and words.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Paul/Mary Burleson said...

By the way,

For whatever reason, I can't get my ministry blog to register on the comment section, so I used our joint blog. [husband/wife.] Thus, I need to sign out and will from here on til I get it fixed. :)

Paul B.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Stephen Pruett said...

Paul, Thank you! I have enjoyed reading your posts on Wade's blog and the outpost. The literal 7-day week of creation is not a major issue now, but I would not be at all surprised if it the next target. My major concern is this would further alienate us from many, many of the people we should be trying to reach because of a relatively minor issue. Also, I think I have been wrong to remain silent while advocates of creation science have distorted and ignored relevant scientific evidence. All the best to you,
Steve Pruett

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen, you are great... i wish i knew how to email you! Thanks for your thoughtful and intelligent writings, both here and on Wade's and others' blogs.

bryan riley
bwriley4[at]yahoo[dot]com

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home